Find your local Child Support and Social Service Office here! Not a government website.

Medicaid, Food Stamp and Child Support

Food Stamps
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) of 1996 extended many
child support provisions to the Food Stamp program. States have the option to disqualify noncustodial parents for being in arrears with their child support payments and may disqualify any custodial or noncustodial parents for failing to cooperate with the state CSE agency unless they show good cause for noncompliance. As of May 1998, only seven states disqualified Food Stamp house­ holds for failure to cooperate with state CSE agencies. Two states applied the sanction only to TANF cases (Gabor and Botsko 1998).

Medicaid recipients must cooperate with CSE agencies and assign their rights to medical support payments and payments for medical care from any third party. Medic­aid eligibility cannot be denied or terminated for a child because of the refusal of another person to cooperate in establishing paternity or in obtaining medical support. The custodial parent, however, may be denied Medicaid coverage by refusing to cooperate. If the state expands the Medicaid program to provide health insurance to children under the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), the Medicaid child support requirements apply. However, when states provide health insurance to children under a separate program, they are not bound by federal requirements.

Leave a reply

355 Responses to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Child Support Office

  1. I do not know who the heavy black lady is in the office that works up in the Stuttgart office, but she is horrible! She is so rude and acts like it annoys the mess out of her to have to answer any questions at all. I don’t know why they would have such an awful troll answering the phones up there. It’s bad enough that the other parent is not doing what they need to do to help with the responsibilities that they should be. And to have to deal with her when you are trying to get her and her stank attitude is just about too much. I’m almost positive that I’m not the only one who has had to deal with her negativity when they called in, I can’t be!

Leave a reply

State Child Support Offices


DISCLAIMER: This site is NOT affiliated with any government sites or agencies, this site is for informational purposes only. If you have questions about child support issues it’s always best you contact your local child support office.

There is no custom code to display.