Why does my ex keep getting away with not paying child support?

Q) Why does my ex keep getting away with not paying?? I thought Texas was strict. He has gone so many times without paying but now is his longest stretch. He hasn’t paid since July and June and July were only half payments. I really want action taken. This isn’t fair to my son’s. We went to court in 2020 and I even offered to lower the amount some and now I’m not getting a single cent for my boys. He owes almost $30,000 in arrears. I just don’t see how that is okay and why I’m getting no help.

A) I understand how frustrating it can be when an ex-partner fails to pay child support as ordered by the court. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to enforce child support orders, especially if the person responsible for paying is not doing so willingly.

There are several steps you can take to try to enforce a child support order and get the payments you are owed. Here are a few options:

  1. Contact the child support enforcement agency in your state: This agency can help you locate your ex-partner, establish a child support order, and enforce the order if necessary.
  2. Consider hiring an attorney: An attorney can provide you with legal representation and help you navigate the process of enforcing a child support order.
  3. Request wage garnishment: If your ex-partner is employed, you may be able to request that their wages be garnished to pay the child support they owe.
  4. Request a contempt of court order: If your ex-partner is deliberately refusing to pay child support, you may be able to request that they be found in contempt of court, which can result in fines or even jail time.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. If you are having trouble getting the child support you are owed, it may be a good idea to seek the help of an attorney or a legal aid organization that can provide you with guidance and support.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *