Will I receive the entire amount of support paid?

child_support_personQ) Will I receive the entire amount of support paid?

A) It depends on the specific details of your child support case. In general, child support payments are intended to provide financial support for the child, not for the custodial parent. Therefore, the amount of child support paid is typically calculated based on the needs of the child and the income of both parents.

If the custodial parent is receiving public assistance, such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), the state may collect child support payments and keep a portion of the money to reimburse itself for the assistance provided. The remainder of the child support payment would be sent to the custodial parent.

Additionally, if the non-custodial parent has fallen behind on child support payments, the amount owed may include arrears or interest, which could be deducted from future payments. In some cases, the state may also keep a portion of the child support payment to cover fees and administrative costs associated with collecting and distributing child support.

It’s important to consult with your state’s child support enforcement agency or an attorney to understand how child support payments are handled in your specific case.

NOTE: If you have not received cash assistance, you will receive the total child support payment (less any fees the state may collect). If you are receiving cash assistance, check with your state child support agency. Some states will pass some or all of the child support payments through to you. Others will use the entire amount to repay the money provided to your family. If you are not receiving cash assistance now but did in the past, and if amounts are still owed to the state, any support collected beyond the amount ordered for current support and for arrearages owed to you may be used to reduce the arrearages owed to the state.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *