Employer will not deduct child support payments. What do I do?

child_support_personQ) My ex-husband has a good job and is willing to have the payments deducted from his paycheck, but his employer won’t do it. What can I do?

A) Under every state’s law, an employer must withhold the support if ordered to, or if the noncustodial parent requests it. If you run into problems with an employer, seek the assistance of your child support office. The state child support agency staff will send the employer a withholding notice, which is binding on the employer. An employer who fails to withhold the income in accordance with the notice is liable for the accumulated amount that should have been withheld from the noncustodial parent’s income. Employers who have questions about income withholding can find information and contacts on the Office of Child Support Enforcement website: www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/employers/employer-contact-program-information

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *