Is it possible to collect the support payments from personal property?

child_support_personQ) Is it possible to collect the support payments from personal property?

A) It is possible to collect child support payments from personal property in certain situations. For example, if the noncustodial parent has a bank account or other financial assets, the child support enforcement agency may be able to garnish those assets to collect the unpaid child support. Additionally, if the noncustodial parent owns a car or other valuable personal property, the child support enforcement agency may be able to place a lien on the property or seize it to satisfy the child support debt.

However, it’s important to note that the rules regarding collection of child support from personal property can vary by state and there may be limits to what types of property can be seized or garnished. It’s also worth noting that child support enforcement agencies typically prioritize collection efforts on income and assets that are easier to seize or garnish, such as wages or bank accounts.

If you are seeking to collect child support from personal property, it may be helpful to consult with a family law attorney or a child support enforcement agency in your area for guidance on the specific steps you need to take and the likelihood of success in your particular situation.

NOTE: Under some state laws, the enforcement official can issue an order to withhold and deliver. The order is sent to the person, company, or institution that is holding property belonging to the debtor, such as a bank account, investments, or personal property. The holder of the property must deliver it either to the enforcement agency or court that issued the support order. Some states permit the property to be attached or seized and sold to pay the debt. Some states require noncustodial parents with a poor payment history to pledge property as a guarantee of payment. Non-payment results in forfeiture of the property.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *