I have a child support order in another state. How do I get it moved over?

Q) I just moved to Oklahoma a few months ago. I have a child support order in another state. How do I get it moved over?

A) If you have a child support order from another state and have recently moved to Oklahoma, you will need to take steps to have the order recognized and enforced in your new state. This process is known as “domestication” of the order.

Here are the general steps you can follow to have your child support order domesticated in Oklahoma:

  1. Obtain a certified copy of the original child support order from the state where it was issued.
  2. File a petition to register the foreign support order in the Oklahoma court that has jurisdiction over the case. You may be able to find the forms you need online or at your local court clerk’s office.
  3. Serve a copy of the petition and the foreign support order on the other party (the obligor).
  4. Attend a hearing in the Oklahoma court, if required.
  5. Once the foreign support order is registered, it will be treated as an Oklahoma support order and can be enforced by the Oklahoma child support enforcement agency.

It is recommended that you seek the assistance of an attorney in the process of domestication, as the laws and procedures can be complex and vary by state. An attorney can ensure that the process is handled correctly and efficiently, and can provide you with legal guidance and representation throughout the process.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *