Parent refuses to pay child support, but owns a good deal of property.

child_support_personQ) The noncustodial parent refuses to pay child support, but owns a good deal of property in the county. Can a lien be issued on the property?

A) Yes. However, a lien on property does not by itself result in the immediate collection of any money. It only prevents the owner from selling, transferring, or borrowing against the property until the child support debt is paid. Even so, the presence of a property lien may encourage the noncustodial parent to pay the past-due child support in order to get clear title to the property. States are now required to give full faith and credit to liens issued by another state.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *