My children’s father signed an agreement to pay child support, I have received nothing.

Q) My children’s father & I signed an agreement back in August for our divorce. As part of that , he is ordered to pay child support. I’m just not sure if that’s supposed to go through you guys ? I have received nothing since court. Could you tell me what steps to take ? Thank you.

A) You may first need to find out if your child’s father is making child support payments. If he is, you will need to go to your local child agency support office and enquirer why you have not received your payments. If he is not making payments it may be necessary for you to take further action in order to get him to pay child support. The Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984 allows district attorneys to help you collect court-ordered child support from a parent who refuses to pay. Typically, the district attorney serves the child’s parent with papers, telling them to meet with the district attorney in order to set up a payment arrangement. The papers also warn that if the person fails to follow those instructions, jail time could be imposed. You may need to set an appointment with your local district attorney office and seek assistance.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *